Last modified: October 20, 2004 (reformatted only)
on: Car Shows
- The Car Guy, with Steve Parker. Sundays from 10pm-Midnight
on XTRA SPORTS 1150. Parker writes the LOS ANGELES TIMES' HIGHWAY
1 automotive editorial section and he bills his show as the only
radio racing call-in show in the Southwest! Steve Parker's web
site is at http://www.steveparker.com/
- Car Talk, with Tom and Ray Magliozzi (aka "Click
and Clack The Tappet Brothers"). The "Marx Brothers
meet Mr. Goodwrench" on this syndicated public radio call-in
show. KCRW-FM (89.9), Sunday 11-noon. Also on KPCC-FM
(89.3) Saturday and Sunday 9-10 am. Their website has some
interesting information, including listener recommendations for
good mechanics. http://www.cartalk.org
- The Car Show w/Art Gould & John Retsek. 11
am-1 pm, Saturday, KPFK-FM (90.7).
- The Driving Show with Mr. Traffic, Kenny Morse. KRLA
(1110-AM), Saturday 3-5 pm. Morse is a popular instructor
at the Improv Traffic School. His show and his web site (www.mrtraffic.com) have
extensive tips on driving in California, everything from beating
and traffic ticket to advice on buying a new car.
- Leon Kaplan "Motorman Leon Kaplan's Automotive Show,"
KABC 790-AM, Sunday 7-10 am. From the KABC website: "'Motorman'
as he is known by many, is a 'good ol' boy' from North Carolina
whose pleasant Southern personality and knowledge of how to select,
purchase, and maintain vehicles of all kinds has endeared him
to a wide and diverse audience."
on: Computer shows
- The Computer Show, with the Marck Brothers. Sundays
10am - 1pm. KABC (790 AM).
- Digital Village, weekly public radio program about
computers and the internet, featuring Ric Allan and Doran Barons,
with a "focus on how technology is changing the way we communicate,"
and no product reviews. www.digitalvillage.com
KPFK-FM (90.7), Sat. 10am-11am.
- Kim Kommando Computer Show, The beautiful Ms. Kommando,
former Unisys computer geekette, hosts a down and dirty discussion
about your naughty bits (or bytes) on the Computer Show. 7-10
am, Saturdays. KLSX-FM (97.1).
- Earthlink Internet Show, noon-2pm Sunday, KLSX-FM
- KFI on Computers, with Jeff Levy, Q&A, interviews
and info sharing, steps callers through repairs, step-by-step.
www.jefflevy.com, Sunday 9-noon,
KFI (640 AM).
- Internet Insider, Saturdays, KRLA (1110 AM), 8-9 am.
Spotlight on: Drama/Spoken Word shows
- KCRW Playhouse presents contemporary radio drama productions
from LA Theatreworks, the BBC, homegrown KCRW presentations,
and others. 7-9pm Sundays, KCRW-FM (89.9)
- KNX Drama Hour The KNX archives are brimming with
classic CBS radio shows from the '30s to the '50s, most recorded
at the station's studios in radio's heyday. Shows include Jack
Benny, The Shadow, Gunsmoke, The Lone Ranger, and Philip Marlowe.
9-10 daily, except for 10 PM on Tuesdays, repeated at 2 AM. KNX
(1070 AM). You can also hear the previous day's shows online
- Same Time, Same Station John and Larry Gassman share
their vast collection of radio programs from the golden age of
radio. KPCC-FM (89.3), Sundays 7-9pm.
- Ken Nordine's Word Jazz A journey to the center of
your mind, courtesy of the soothing voice from those old Levi's
commercials. KCSN-FM (88.5), Sundays 11:00 pm - 11:30pm.
- The Other Side After a long hiatus, Joe Frank is back
with his peculiar blend of humor, existentialism, and just plain
freaky head trip stuff. KCRW-FM (89.9) Sundays 11am- noon.
Spotlight on: Financial Shows
- The Motley Fool, AM-640 KFI, Saturday 9-Noon.
- Doug Fabian on Funds, 97.1 KLSX-FM, Saturday 8-10
Like the show's name says, this is strictly about mutual funds.
Fabian describes the current mutual funds buying climate as green,
yellow, and red. The show fields calls from mostly novice investors
who generally have good questions about their portfolios (low
cringe factor). Fabian stresses fundamentals, avoiding bonds,
and reading his website for more information. www.fabian.com
- Financial Wisdom with Gabriel Wisdom, 97.1 KLSX-FM,
Saturday Noon-2 am.
- Money Talk with Bob Brinker, AM-790 KABC, Saturday
& Sunday 1-4 pm.
- Managing your Money with Terry L. Jones, AM-870 KIEV,
Saturday 12:05 pm.
- Mr. Money, with Mark Rothstein, 10am-12 noon, Sunday,KRLA
- Cash Flow Corner, with Wade Cook, 6:30 am - 7 am.
AM-870 KIEV, Saturday.
- KNX Business Hour, anchored by Bob McCormick, with
KNX business reporters Charles Laszlo and Randy Riddle. Plus...
special reports from experts in the high-tech area, show business,
international economics, real estate, etc. (M-F 1-2 pm) KNX-AM
- Art of Finance with Art Wiederman, 8-9 am Sunday,
KRLA (1110 AM).
- The Voice of Real Estate with Bruce B. Hailstone,
AM-1380 KHJ, Tuesday 10-11 am.
- KFWB/Los Angeles Times Business Hour with Ron Kilgore,
980AM, KFWB, Mom-Fri noon-1pm.
- Marketplace, 91.5 KUSC-FM, Monday-Friday 7-7:30 pm.
Host David Brancacchio and Cheryl Glazer host a daily review
of the U.S. and global economy. It's an economics show that isn't
dry. Lot's of interesting features and fun talking-heads like
David Johnson doing the day's market report. Makes you feel like
an economics wonk without the expense of a Harvard MBA. www.marketplace.org
Spotlight on: Food and Restaurant Shows
- Good Food, host Evan Kleiman takes you around the
world of food, Jonathan Gold pokes his head in to discuss great
restaurants, and you get the Farmer's Market report, all at 11
am Saturdays on KCRW-FM (89.9).
- The KABC Restaurant Show, featuring Mario Martinoli
and Amy Strong, 8-10 am Saturday . Recipes, interviews, and restaurant
tips. KABC (790 AM).
- Good Life Report with Elmer Dills 3-5 pm Saturday
and Sunday KIEV (870 AM).
- Melinda Lee hosts Food Talk, Sundays 2-5 pm
on KFI (640 AM). Check out her page
for information and recipes.
- Merrill Shindler hosts an amiable and informative
call-in show on KLSX-FM, Saturdays(5-7 pm) and Sundays (3-5 pm),
giving and getting restaurant tips, and giving away dinners.
- Chef Jamie, Join the Goddess of Grub, Jamie Gwen,
Saturdays, 4-6pm on KRLA-AM (1110).
- The Spice of Life Report with Peter Dills and Stephanie
Edwards. 11-Noon, KIEV (870 AM). Peter and Stephanie give you
the latest news from the hospitality industry, interviews top-name
chefs and share their recipes, plus supermarket tips and the
newest food gadgets. Send questions for Peter Dills to firstname.lastname@example.org
or visit his very own web page at www.pasadena-events.com.
Spotlight on: Gardening Shows
- On the Garden Line, with Jerry Baker. Join former
undercover Detroit cop Baker as he fills you in on the best home
and garden products and information. 5-6 am Saturday, KRLA (1110
- West Coast Garden Line, with Bruce Asakawa, landscape
architect, certified arborist and garden guru. Call in at 1-800-660-GROW.
8-10 am Saturday, KIEV (870 AM).
- Garden Talk, with Nick Federoff. Billed as the "most
listened-to gardening show in Southern California," Federoff
answers questions with humor. His website is www.kfi640.com/usguys/nick.html,
and includes gardening links and a coloring book of bugs. KFI
(640 AM), Saturday 5-6 am, and if you miss the show, you can
still call in with questions between 8-10 am Saturdays at 1-800-405-NICK.
Spotlight on: Travel Shows
- The Savvy Traveller with Rudy Maxa, Sunday,
4-5 pm. KPCC-FM (89.3)., also on KUSC-FM (91.5). www.savvytraveler.com
- The Touring Company, with Paul Lasley and Elizabeth
Sunday 9-11, KPCC-FM (89.3).
- Expedia Travel, sponsored by Microsoft, and hosted
by John Fisher and Mike West. http://expedia.msn.com/daily/radio/
KLSX-FM (97.1) Sunday 7-8 am.
- Elmer Dills Good Life Report, covers dining and travel.
Sat and Sunday 3-5 pm, KIEV-AM (870).